jEdit – Programmer’s Text Editor Oct 28 2004
Gonna give this a try.
jEdit is a mature and well-designed programmer’s text editor that has been in development for over 5 years.
While jEdit beats many expensive development tools for features and
ease of use, it is released as free software with full source code,
provided under the terms of the GNU
General Public License.
Some of jEdit’s features include:
- Written in Java, so it runs on MacOS X, OS/2, Unix, VMS and Windows.
- Built-in macro language; extensible plugin architecture. Dozens of macros
and plugins available.
- Plugins can be downloaded and
installed from within jEdit using the “plugin manager” feature.
- Auto indent, and syntax highlighting for more than 80 languages.
- Supports a large number of character encodings including UTF8 and Unicode.
- Folding for selectively hiding regions of text.
- Word wrap.
- Highly configurable and customizable.
- Every other feature, both basic and advanced, you would expect to find in
a text editor. See the Features page
for a full list.
To download, install and set up jEdit as quickly and painlessly as possible,
go to the Quick Start page.